Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Putting the Zen in Zentangle

Big conversations going on in the world of Zentangle. I recently posted to our CZT discussion group asking for a ready reply to a situation I had encountered. Twice in so many weeks when I shared my Zentangle art with someone and they knocked it down with "That's not art that's just doodling." I wanted to draw on the experiences and the expertise of the wonderful CZT group. I got some really awesome replies. Lots of really good information that has prepared me for the next time.

At the same time Rick and Maria posted a similiar discussion on their own blog, which you can see here http://zentangle.blogspot.com/2010/11/conversation.html . I just have to say the email sent by that person was in turns hurtful, insulting and annoying. I wonder why people take the time...if you don't like tangling, ignore it, no one is forcing a Micron pen and lovely Italian paper into your hand.

For some reason I had never thought to look up the actual definition of the word doodle. Here is what I found on three different web dictionaries.
A doodle is a type of sketch, an unfocused drawing made while a person's attention is otherwise occupied.
make a doodle; draw aimlessly
doodle - scribble: an aimless drawing

Zentangle is the opposite of every red word you see above. It is focused, purposeful, and intentional drawing. As you create, it will draw you in and center you. It's breaking patterns down and reinventing them. It is relaxing and fun.

What I gained from all of the comments and discussions is a greater understanding and even more enthusiasm for this art. The bottom line for me is Zentangle is a philosophy, a method of drawing patterns that can be taught in many variations. I can also say with certainty that had I sent a question out to the universe about the process of doodling, I would never have been wrapped in the supportive arms of community or encouraged with words of wisdom as I was by my fellow CZTs when I posted my Zentangle question.

I'll close with one of my favorite comments, one by Nancy Ubin: There is room for all perspectives, turn your tile. Not only important in tangling, but also in life!

1 comment:

Jeannine said...

Had a wonderful time in class at the Rawls today! Really enjoyed the process and look forward to practicing and creating at home.

Thank you!